2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 tablespoon coconut flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
1 large egg white, beaten until it triples in volume
For the Topping
1 large egg white
1 1/2 tablespoon topping of your choice (Everything seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds)
OR a sprinkle of sea salt on top
Measuring and preparing the ingredients before you start is helpful to this recipe coming together properly because you must work the dough while the cheese is hot.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl in 30 second increments until completely melted. Stir until smooth.
- In a second bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder, stirring well.
- Combine the melted cheese with the flour mixture. Stir the dough and work the flour into the cheese as well as you can.
- Next, add the whole egg and the beaten egg, stir the mixture until a soft dough forms. Then, using your hands knead the dough until you are satisfied that the egg, flour and cheese are all worked in the dough together. Make sure the dough is thoroughly combined. Form the dough into a disk and cut into 8 equal sections. Form each section into a bagel shape.
- Place the bagels on a parchment or silicone lined baking pan (or greased baking sheet).
- Brush the bagel with the egg white and sprinkle the seasoning of choice on top.
- Bake 18-22 minutes until golden brown.
Makes 8 bagels. Count each bagel as: 1.5 protein (group 6) and 2 fat (group 7).
Recipe adapted from: www.maebells.com