These zucchini boats are deliciously indulgent and bring some heat on a cold, winter’s day! If you aren’t a huge fan of hot sauce, you can switch it out for mild salsa instead.
- Olive or avocado oil for greasing pan
- 4 medium zucchini sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil) divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (about 1 pound or about half a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a large baking pan (or use parchment paper or silpat baking sheet). Set aside.
- Using a large spoon, hollow out the centers of each zucchini half, leaving about 1/2-inch rim to create boats. (Use leftover zucchini for soup or stir-fry). Place the hollowed out zucchinis on the large baking pan lined with foil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Transfer to a large bowl then stir in shredded chicken, ⅓ cup hot sauce, 1 cup greek yogurt, ¼ cup ranch dressing and ½ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon buffalo chicken mixture evenly into prepared zucchini boats. Top each evenly with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover the zucchini boats with foil and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender. Once tender, remove the foil and turn the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes until the tops of the cheese bubble and brown.
- Once baked, sprinkle with cilantro and green onion before serving.
Makes 4 servings – 2 zucchini halves per serving.
Count each serving as: 4 proteins (group 6), 2 fats (group 7) and ½ dairy (group 1)
Adapted from: www.whatmollymade.com