Chicken Mushroom Casserole
This delicious, creamy chicken casserole is made in one pan and is really satisfying! You could use any type of chicken you like. Recipe adapted from: www.sugarfreemom.com.
- 1-pound chicken tenderloins (or, 3 large/4 medium chicken breasts sliced or cubed)
- 1/2-pound mushrooms thickly sliced (1 small container of mushrooms)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tbsp dried)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Heat half of the butter and half of the olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper to taste, and then sear in batches until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the rest of the butter and oil to the skillet and cook the mushrooms until they are browned and crispy.
- Add the garlic, herbs and chicken stock and deglaze the pan, continuing to scrape the bottom.
- Add the cream and sour cream and simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Do not boil, as cream could split.
- Return chicken to the pan and toss through the sauce. Cook for five more minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower-rice, cauliflower mashed potatoes, or any other veggie side-dish. This is also delicious served over zucchini noodles!
Makes 4 servings. Count each serving as: 3 protein (group 6) and 3 fat (group 7).
I used cut-up chicken legs for this, as I had them pre-cooked in the fridge. I let the pieces brown in the butter & oil as directed, but only for a few minutes. I used the skin as well which I felt added flavour and became a bit crispy in the cooking process. I used dried herbs and flavour was great, served with zucchini noodles. My son hates mushrooms, but he loved this with the mushrooms picked out 😉 (some sneaky small pieces were eaten).