3 sweet red peppers, quartered
3 tomatoes, halved lengthwise
5 large cloves garlic, peeled
1 large onion, cut in thick wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each salt, dried thyme, rosemary and basil leaves
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups (750 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Sour cream and fresh basil leaves
• Place peppers and tomatoes, cut side up, on large foil-lined baking sheet; add garlic and onion.
• In small bowl, combine oil, salt, thyme, rosemary, basil and pepper; brush over vegetables.
• Roast on bottom rack of 450°F (230°C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and slightly charred.
• Let cool for 30 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
• Slip skins off peppers and tomatoes.
• In blender or food processor, in batches, purée vegetables with any juices and some of the broth until smooth.
• Transfer to large saucepan; add vinegar and any remaining broth.
• Serve at room temperature or heat until hot.
• Garnish each serving with swirl of sour cream and basil leaves.
Makes 6 servings; count as a free food.
Recipe courtesy of Foodland Ontario.