When we first see you in the office and at each subsequent visit we give you a food diary to record your foods. Why is this? The food diary is the most powerful proven aid for weight management. People who keep a food and exercise diary not only lose more weight, they also tend to keep it off. Recommitting to recording your foods is a great habit to get into, or to resume. Here are some of the reasons to record your foods:
• Recording your eating and exercise habits jolts you into realizing just what you do eat and drink each day, and also whether you exercise sufficiently.
• A food diary helps you identify problem foods and drinks with excessive calories.
• Helps you identify moods, situations and events that lead to excessive eating of unwanted foods. You can then plan to overcome or avoid them.
• Prevents “calorie amnesia,” the forgetfulness of foods that you may be eating. Recording keeps you on the right track.
• Helps you develop greater self discipline. You will think twice about over-indulging if you have to record it. It keeps you honest!
• Motivates you to carefully plan your meals and exercise each day.
• At times, serves as a check system for your counsellor to assess your progress and make recommendations.
Keeping a diary is a MUST for successful weight control!