Chili is a cold weather comfort food! This recipe omits the beans for a lower carbohydrate version.
3 pounds ground beef
2 cups onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1-3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
1 small jalapeno seeded, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
14 ounces diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups beef broth
• Brown your ground beef with the onion and garlic in a large skillet until no longer pink.
• Stir in the dry seasonings then place it into the slow cooker.
• Add all remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
• Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
• Optional toppings: green chiles, cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado.
Makes 12 servings of 1.5C each. Count each serving as 3 proteins.
Recipe courtesy of www.sugarfreemom.com