2 medium sized zucchinis
¾ lb ground meat of choice
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
½ cup chopped mushrooms
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup chopped red pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
2 tablespoons ketchup (or tomato paste)
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• Trim the ends of the zucchinis and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp from the insides so that you have a place to put the filling. Finely chop the zucchini pulp.
• Sauté the ground meat with the zucchini pulp, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables have softened. Drain, if needed.
• Take the mixture off the heat and stir in half of the cheese and all of the ketchup.
• Spoon the mixture into the zucchini shells and top with the remaining cheese.
• Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the zucchinis are tender.
Makes 4 servings; count each serving as 3 proteins.